Map of Mexico

Travel Info > Tourist Requirements for entering Mexico

The following is taken from a document published by the Secretary of Tourism or SECTUR and originally posted on April 2009. You can read the entire PDF article on the Sectur website: Manual of Tourist Entry

Tourist contact infor for the state of QUINTANA ROO
Secretaría de Turismo (Secretariat of Tourism)
Av. Centenario No. 622
Entre Ignacio Comonfort y Ciricote
Col. Del Bosque, C.P. 77010 Chetumal, Quintana Roo.
Telephone: Area code (01 983) 8 35 08 60 Commutator with 10 lines
Ext.: 1809 and 1810 for tourist information
Fax: 8 35 08 80
Web Site:


If your nationality is not Mexican and you have no other migratory form in Mexico, in order to enter the country you need to have one tourist immigration form (FM-T or Tourist visa) per person. These forms are obtained at the first port of entry, at the borders, or at Mexican consulates and embassies. NOTE: these are often handed to you in the airplane when you are entering Mexican air space.

Make sure your migratory form is stamped and authorized by the migratory authority. Your permit is good for a maximum of 180 days. If, during your stay, you decide to prolong your trip for a period longer than that granted by your permit, you should request its extension from the migratory authorities before its expiration. The procedures for obtaining the FM-T vary with the nationality of each visitor, in
accordance with the international immigration treaties of which Mexico is a part. For this reason, it is very important to request the requirements for your nationality in any of the Mexican Consulates or Embassies in your respective countries. It is highly recommendable to ask for the requirements far enough in advances, since,
depending on your nationality, an entry permit (Visa) may have to be requested from The consulate and this may, in some cases, take up to 30 days to be processed. Even if your travel agency informs you of the procedures and resolution times, we recommend that you confirm these by calling the corresponding consulate. In the case of U.S. and Canadian Citizens, The FM-T may be obtained by presenting one of the following documents:

a) Passport
b) Birth Certificate, accompanied by a photo I.D., or
c) Voter’s Card, accompanied by a photo I.D.

Although some nationalities are not asked to present their passport, it is always recommendable to bring it. If you have it, it will make your entry faster and more certain. NOTE: getting back into the US requires a passport!
It is necessary to have the migratory form with you while you remain in Mexico, and turn it in when you leave the country.

For a minor to enter the country, he must come accompanied by his parents, or have a notarized letter from the absent father or mother, or from both of them, authorizing him to leave the country.


Since 1999, Mexico, like many countries, charges a fee for the authorization of Non- Immigrant migratory status. The resources that are collected through this Fee are used for the promotion of tourism in Mexico and for the assistance and improvement of migratory services. This fee is $210.00 (Two hundred and ten pesos 00/100 national currency.) It is updated annually. The time and manner of paying this fee varies according to the mode and route you use to enter the country, as specified in this manual for each case. All foreigners who enter Mexico must pay this fee, except those who have immigrant or immigrated status, or who are visitors with an FM-3. Passengers with connecting flights in Mexico or in transit (whose stay is less than three days), diplomats with an official or service visa, and crew members are also exempt. NOTE: this is usually included in the cost of your plane ticket.


Upon entering Mexico, in all cases, you must fill out one customs form per family. The form will be given to you by the crew of the ship or plane, . . .or you will be able to obtain it, at the point of entry (border, airport, or seaport). It is very important that you fill out the said form correctly, since you will be subject to a random search, and incorrect information may constitute a crime.

The obligation to declare before the customs authority applies to every individual. . . Once you have filled out the Customs Declaration Form, you may proceed to the . . .traffic light. . . .If the mechanism determines that you are subject to revision (red light), you must give the Declaration to the individual that is going to perform the inspection and open your baggage, so that what you declared on the form may be corroborated. If the mechanism determines that the inspection will not be performed (green light), simply hand in your declaration and you may leave without undergoing further procedures. The result of the automated selection mechanism (fiscal semaphore) . . .is completely random.

If, upon arriving in or leaving national territory, you are carrying with you quantities in cash, in national or foreign checks, in money orders or any other document to be cashed, or a combination of the above in a quantity greater than ten thousand US dollars or its equivalent in other foreign currencies, you are obliged to declare them to the customs authorities, registering them by means of the “Customs Declaration” (Declaración de Aduana) and “Declaration of Passenger’s Money in Exit” (Declaración de Dinero Salida de Pasajeros) forms. The said declaration must be submitted at the entry or exit customs, as appropriate. To carry such a quantity upon entering or leaving the country is not a crime, but not declaring it is a felony.

2.1.1. Goods that you may bring into Mexico without paying taxes

You may . . .bring your personal luggage and a variety of exempt goods that vary according to the route by which you enter the country. There is a permit for goods in addition to your luggage that you may bring into the country tax-free. List of articles that make up personal luggage

  1. New or used goods for personal use, such as clothing, footwear, and hygiene products, so long as they are in accordance with the duration of the trip, and their quantity does not suggest that they can be the object of commercialization.
  2. One photographic camera and one video recorder, and, when appropriate, their power source; up to twelve rolls of unused film or video cassettes; printed or filmed photographic material; one cellular telephone apparatus and one pager; one typewriter; one new or used portable computer, of those called laptop, notebook, omni book, etc. In this case it is not necessary to have the permit before importation.
  3. Two sets of used personal sports equipment, as long as they can be transported by one person.
  4. One portable radio apparatus for the recording and reproduction of sound, or one dual purpose.
  5. Five laser disks, five DVD disks, 20 compact disks (CD) or magnetic tapes (audio cassettes) for the reproduction of sound.
  6. Books and magazines, whose quantity does not suggest that they can be the object of commercialization.
  7. Five toys, as long as they can be transported by one person.
  8. Medicine for personal use. The prescription must be shown if they are psychotropic substances.
  9. Cases, chests, and suitcases necessary for the transport of goods.
  10. One pair of binoculars.
  11. One musical instrument, as long as it can be transported by one person.
  12. One tent and one set of camping equipment.
  13. One surfboard or sailboard.
  14. Regarding disabled persons, goods for personal use that, by their characteristics, compensate for or diminish their disability.
  15. Adult passengers may also introduce a maximum of 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco, and up to 3 liters of wine, beer, or liquor, with theunderstanding that a larger quantity of these products cannot be imported without complying with the applicable regulations and restrictions.
  16. The luggage belonging to ambassadors, plenipotentiary ministers, business men, counselors, secretaries and attachés of the diplomatic or special foreign missions; consuls, vice-consuls, or foreign diplomatic agents, officials of international organizations accredited by the Government of Mexico; as well as their spouses, parents, and children who abide in the same house, will not be subject to customs inspection.

When there is well-founded reason to believe that personal luggage contains objects whose importation or exportation is prohibited or subject to non-customs regulations or restrictions, the customs authority may only perform the corresponding inspection, so long as it is performed in the presence of the respective party or of his authorized representative. THE TAX EXEMPTION

As previously indicated, this exemption varies by the mode and route of entry into the country. For this reason, we recommend you read the paragraph of this manual that corresponds to your mode of travel. The corresponding quantities in each case may be accumulated by the father, the mother, and the children, even considering minors, when the arrival in national territory is simultaneous and by the same means of transportation.


In accordance with the “Law of General Import and Export Taxes”, the introduction of the following products into the country is prohibited:

  • Firearms, except for hunting purposes, as long as the rules indicated in number 4 of
    this manual are complied with.
  • Live predatory fish in their fingerling, juvenile, and adult stage.
  • Thallium Sulfate
  • Totoaba, fresh or refrigerated (Fish)
  • Insecticide (Isodrin, Aldrin, Heptachloro, Drinox, Endrin, Mendrino, Nendrin,
    Hexadrin, or Leptofos)
  • Frozen Totoaba (Fish)
  • Turtle eggs of any kind
  • Poppy seeds (Opium Poppy
  • Imide of N-phtalilglutamic acid (Thalidomide)
  • Poppy seed flour (Opium Poppy
  • Marijuana (Cannabis Indica) seeds and spores, even when mixed with other seeds
  • Heroin, base, or Diacetylmorphine hydrochloride
  • Marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Medicinal preparations based on marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Opium juices and extracts prepared for smoking
  • Medicinal preparations based on acetylmorphine, its salts or derivatives.
  • Extracts and juices derived from marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Turtle or Green Turtle skins
  • Mucilages and thickeners derived from marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Stamps printed in colors or in black and white, presented for sale in envelopes or packets, even when they include chewing gum, candy, or any other type of articles, containing drawings, figures, or illustrations that portray childhood in a denigrating or ridiculous manner, in attitudes which incite violence, self-destruction, or any other type of anti-social behavior, known as “Garbage Pail Kids”, for example, printed by any company or commercial denomination.

Once you find yourself in Mexican territory, you will be free to travel and circulate within it without having to fill out more migratory forms. They will only be able to request the presentation of customs declaration forms when you leave a city near a border and head for another within the same country.




It is very important that before buying your airplane ticket to come to Mexico, you know what requirements must be fulfilled in order to enter the country and, if necessary, you personally process your visa. Although your travel agency can advise you on the procedures, it is advisable that you personally confirm the information by telephone with the Mexican Consulate or Embassy closest to you.
This is because if you don’t comply with some requirement, the migratory authorities could deny your access to Mexico, returning you immediately on the first available flight. If you come to Mexico by commercial airline, the crew will give you an FM-T form. DNI

In the case of entry to Mexico by airliner or charter plane, the airline itself will include the DNI in the price of your ticket. It is advisable that, if you are Mexican or have some distinct migratory status in Mexico (FM-2 or FM-3), you make this known to the travel agency or to the airline, so that you are not charged the DNI in the price of your ticket. If it is charged, you may apply for its refund afterwards.
If you enter the country by private airplane, you must pay the DNI in any bank in national territory and present your paid form upon your departure from Mexican territory.

3.1.2. CUSTOMS

If you enter the country on a commercial airliner, you have the right to bring tax-free, in addition to your personal luggage, an exempt amount of up to 300 US dollars or its equivalent in other foreign currencies, in the form of one or more articles, with the exception of beer, alcoholic drinks, and processed tobacco. Please remember that you must fill out the customs declaration form that will be given to you by the airplane crew members. One form should be filled out per family, not one per person, as the
exemption is counted per family.


(Private airplanes of foreign origin and registration of any kind, undertaking private flight. This does not apply to private flights of foreign businesses, nor private demonstration flights.) Foreign civil aircraft for private, non-commercial service may enter or leave the country via any international airport in the Mexican Republic. To do this it is necessary to obtain authorization, which can be of two types: Authorization for Single Entry and Authorization for Multiple Entries. AUTHORIZATION FOR SINGLE ENTRY

This authorization may be obtained through the command of the international airport of entry, or by means of the directorate of Aeronautic Transport and Control. The authorization for single entry is good for six months, and will expire in advance if, during the period it is in effect, the aircraft abandons national territory.

Authorization by means of airport command.
This will be enforced by means of the form GHC-001 in the command of the international airport of your entry, where it will receive the corresponding stamp, as well as the accreditation of the Customs and Migration stamps. Upon leaving the country, the pilots must turn in the form GHC-001 to the commandant of the international airport of departure.

Authorization granted by the Directorate of Aeronautic Transport and Control
The interested party must present the application to the Directorate of Aeronautic Transport and Control, with the information indicated in Annex II. The processing of the application requires three working days. AUTHORIZATION FOR MULTIPLE ENTRIES

This authorization will be granted after it is solicited from the Directorate of Aeronautic Transport and Control, fulfilling the requirements listed in Annex II. The processing of this authorization requires 5 working days. The authorization for multiple entries will remain in effect until the last day of the year in

The legal presence in the country of both foreign passengers and crew will follow what is established by the current Migration Laws and all other applicable legal guidelines. The authorizations for single entry or for multiple entries in the country, granted by the
Directorate of Aeronautic Transport and Control, do not require that the form GHC-001 be filled out in the commands, since both require the payment of fees for the authorizations granted, according to the procedure followed by the directorate of Aerial Security.
These payments may be made in the commands on the condition that this is indicated in the authorization office. When this is not the case, the fee payment is made in Mexico City.
To comply with the requirements and formalities of customs, migration and health at the international airports where they may enter and exit from the Mexican Republic. To comply with that established in the Laws of Airport Civil Aviation, its regulations, standards, as well as the provisions of the authorities in their countries in association with national brands and registration number, weight, instruments and accessories of safety and aid. Also to have all registration certificates, air-sea capacity, insurance policy, license of the flight personnel and the rest of the appropriate documentation current and up to date.

The insurance policy from the country of origin of the airship must have coverage for the Mexican territory and the amount insured by civil responsibility of the airship that must be the equivalent of at least 2,400.000.00 Mexican pesos, which is equivalent to 56,900 days of the minimum salary in force in the Federal District until December 31st, 2002 needing accreditation in the policy at the first international airport where they may land. It is recommended that you consult the current tariffs with the General Direction of Civil Aeronautic. Follow the airways established in advanced by the Secretariat of Communication and Transportation, according to P.I.A. (Issue of the Aeronautical Information).
Observe the regulatory procedures included in the P.I.A. of Mexico. The pilots of the airships must give notice (with due anticipation and using the most appropriate communication systems) to the aeronautic authority present at the closest international airport to the point where it is planned of crossing the Mexican border. In the case of airships that may fly over the border airports, pilots must communicate with the control center of air transit.
Once the requirements of entry are fulfilled at the first international airport, foreign airships may operate freely within Mexican territory, being subject to the provisions mentioned in the laws of the Civil Aviation and Airport, and its regulations.

When departing from the country the aircrafts may leave some or all of the persons who entered with it, so that they may stay and then leave the country on a date different from that of the airship and by means of any other transportation, so long as each of the persons has his / her valid migration form. The applications of single or multiple entries must be requested at: General Direction of Civil Aeronautics.

Direction of Transportation and Aeronautics Control and/ or
Sub-direction of General Aviation and Air Services
Providencia 807-1er. Piso Col del Valle Mexico D.F. C.P. 03100
Telephone (5255) 56 87 76 20, (5255) 55 23 29 55
Fax: (5255) 55 23 34 19 (5255) 55 23 34 19

This document is only applicable for private airships of national brand and foreign registration number of any type, making a private flight. Private demonstration flights must collect the corresponding authorization from the Direction of Transportation and Aeronautics Control. These flights shall not be for commercial purposes and in these airships nobody but the crew members, the owner or proprietor, his/her relatives and persons traveling for leisure may be transported, and in the case of companies, the owner, employed executives and partners of the company shall be transported. Cargo, goods or articles of any kind that do not belong to crew members’ and passengers’ personal use shall not be transported. It is recommendable to check the force of this information and obtain its updates at or by telephone with authorities of Civil Aeronautics. SPECIAL CASES

The following authorizations must be requested in writing five working days before the date in which the trip is planned to be carried out.

Previous authorization from the General Direction of Civil Aeronautics shall be requested in any of the following cases:

  • When the airships are leased ( Individuals or companies)
  • When the airships may belong to a company or corporate office (individuals)
  • When the airship in question may be a helicopter of any type or capacity
  • The flights shall not be for commercial purposes and in these airships only the crew members, the owner or proprietor, his / her relatives and persons traveling for leisure shall be transported.
  • Cargo, goods or articles of any kind that are for the personal use of the
    passengers and the crew members shall not be transported in the airships.
    With the purpose of accelerating the procedure of private airships registered to the name of an individual or corporation wanting to enter the country, a form is provided below with the required information to obtain the corresponding authorization.

For further information, we recommend that you read the manual “FLYING TO MEXICO”, here everything pertaining to Navigation in Mexican Air Space is disused.


When arriving at the international dividing line, you will see the signs that will indicate two options: one stating “Nothing to declare” and the other “Lane for declaration”. If your intention is to enter the country and you are a foreigner, you must enter the migration offices located in the customs facilities, so that the migratory authority can issue the corresponding license considering your migratory status. If, upon arriving or leaving national territory you are carrying with you quantities in cash, in national or foreign checks, in money orders or any other document to be cashed, or a combination of the above in amounts greater than ten thousand US dollars or its equivalent in other foreign currencies, you have the obligation to declare them to the customs authorities, registering them by means of the “Customs Declaration” (Declaración de Aduana) and “Declaration of Passenger’s Money in Exit” (Declaración de Dinero Salida de Pasajeros) forms. Said declaration must be submitted upon the entry or exit from customs, as appropriate.

If you choose the lane “Nothing to declare”, you will go to the mechanism of automated selection (“fiscal traffic light”), which will determine if you will be subject to inspection or if you will exit out freely. On the contrary, if the merchandise you are carrying exceeds the amount of the allowed, if you are carrying animals, farming products, or medicine, or if you are holding more than $10,000 US dollars or its equivalent amount in documents or other currency, you must enter through the “Lane for customs declaration”. If you are holding goods exceeding your tax exemption, you must follow the step of tax payment in the corresponding customs booth. When the fiscal traffic light turns green you may immediately leave the customs area without further steps. When it turns red, park your vehicle where the inspector may indicate and allow for your luggage and vehicle in which you are traveling to be checked.

If anybody asks you for money to avoid or accelerate any procedure or to leave customs without being subject to inspection, refuse to give them such money and observe his / her characteristics or, if possible, his/ her ID information, so that you may provide the authority a description of the person. Report him/her immediately. Don’t encourage corruption or be part of it. Go to the booth of the Secretariat of Control-ship or, if you are in the country, make a free phone call at: 01-800-112-05-84. If you are in Mexico City call 30-03-2000 or from the United States or Canada 1-888-475-23-93 or


In case of entering by land, your FM-T will be stamped at the border; you must pay the DNI fee at any national bank, and submit the paid form when leaving the Mexican territory. By 2004 tourist who enters by road will be exempt from the DNI payment if the period of stay is not longer than seven days. It is recommended that you check the current status of this situation with the National Institute of Migration ( or with the Secretariat of Tourism.

3.2.2. CUSTOMS

If you enter by land, you have the right to enter tax free, carrying in addition to your personal luggage an amount of up to US$50 or its equivalent in foreign currency, in one or several articles, except in the cases of beer, alcoholic drinks, commercial tobacco and
automobile fuel (in addition to the fuel contained in the gas/diesel tank of the vehicle, which shall comply with the specifications of the manufacturer). Remember that one customs declaration form must be filled out per family and not individually. The amount is cumulative per family. PRIVATE AUTOMOBILE

In the case of entry to Mexico by automobile, and if the automobile is not registered in Mexico (does not have Mexican license plates), you must follow the procedures pertaining to the provisional importation of vehicles. When you enter Mexico by land, you will find a special lane for visitors holding goods to be declared, that is to say, goods exceeding the allowed amount or holding a product requiring a special license for importation. Having passed the declaration lane, you will go to the fiscal traffic light that shall randomly determine if you will undergo the customs inspection.


To introduce an automobile of foreign origin (having license plates different to those of Mexico), it is necessary to have a provisional importation license. Such a permit is obtained at any branch of BANJERCITO; for foreigners it is granted for the length of the term their migratory status lasts, including extensions; in the case of Mexicans, it is granted for 180 days within a year, with the option of multiple entries and departures, so long as the following requirements are fulfilled:

a) Submitting the original and a copy of the documentation guaranteeing the migratory status or legal residence abroad.
1. In the case of foreigners: ID and a copy of the documentation issued by the National Institute of Migration authorizing the migratory status; both of them will be current up to date.

2. In the case of Mexicans:

a)The document that may authorize the legal residence abroad or the official documentation proving the migratory status that may authorize the person to work abroad for up to a year.

b) Submit the original and a copy of the document authorizing the legal property of the vehicle (title), letter of credit or partial invoice granted by the business or institution that may correspond if the vehicle has not been totally paid for. If the vehicle has been leased, the contract in the name of the interested party and with the characteristics of the vehicle must be submitted. In case of vehicles belonging to companies, the document authorizing the labor relationship of the interested party with the company, in addition of authorizing the legal property of the vehicle under the name of the company. The interested party may carry out the corresponding procedure although the document proving the property of the vehicle may be to the name of his/her spouse, ascendant or descendant, which must be proved with the corresponding legal documentation, such as marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc

.c) Sign the application of provisional importation of the vehicle by attaching a written document where the person declares under oath his/her commitment to return the vehicle within the authorized term, and not to perform acts or omissions that may constitute infringement or crimes due to its bad use or destination.

d) Guarantee the payment of the fiscal credits that may result if not returning the vehicle within the anticipated term or due to infringements mentioned in the applicable laws, through cash deposit, for the amount corresponding to the vehicle’s model.

Model Import of the guarantee
1999 to 2004 US$400
1994 to 1998 US$300
Previous models US$200

BANJERCITO is authorized to receive in cash the guarantee and payment for the negotiation, also to generate the documents that protect the provisional importation of the vehicle, to cancel the guarantee and, when it may be the case, return the amount mentioned above, so long as the importer returns the vehicle to the foreign country within the set time and the return be recorded at any of the BANJERCITO branch located at the borders of the North and South of the country. Otherwise, BANJERCITO will wire transfer the amount of the previously mentioned guarantee to the Treasurer’s Office of the Federation on the next working day following the date on which the term of the provisional importation expires.

Pay BANJERCITO an amount in national currency, equivalent to US$27.00 (plus corresponding tax) to pay for the Provisional Importation of the Vehicle in the Border and US$35.20 in the Consulates specified in the numeral (We recommend you to check the current mount in BANJERCITO) If you have questions about the procedures or requirements you can make a free phone call If you are in the country at: 01-800-112-05-84, from the United States or Canada 1- 800-475-23-93, or direct to BANJERCITO at: 1-866-356-00-88 or by e-mail at
It is important to mention that when making the payment with an international credit or debit card, issued abroad in the name of the importer, he/she will be relived from granting the guarantee mentioned in clause d).

f) Not to have previously imported a vehicle that has not been returned to the foreign country, or if the vehicle was returned, and the return was not recorded at any of the BANJERCITO branches. WHO MAY CARRY OUT THE PROVISIONAL IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES?

1) Foreigners with migratory status as leasing immigrants or non-immigrants, (except in the case of political refugees and refugees), tourists and local visitors.
2) Mexicans with residence in a foreign country or who can prove to have been working abroad for more than a year, so long as they prove with official documentation their migratory status that may authorize them for such purpose. WHAT VEHICLES MAY BE PROVISIONALLY IMPORTED?

Automobiles with a capacity to hold up to three and a half tons. Like wise, provisional transportation of a ship, mobile home or motorcycle may be carried out together with the
vehicle than tows them, so long as its ownership may be proved in the way that is pointed out in clause b), paragraph TOWS

In the case of being imported provisionally with the vehicle, a ship being to with a tow, mobile home or a motorcycle, the authorized term may be of up to 6 months. In case the intention is to leave the ship or mobile home for a longer term, the official forms must be submitted before the corresponding customs (according to the restriction of their location) as the case may correspond:

  • Application of authorization for provisional importation of mobile homes
  • Application of authorization for provisional importation of ships.
  • In such a manner, the temporary authorization of vehicles that would have been used must be submitted with the purpose of canceling, trough customs, the authorization of the provisional importation of the tow or mobile home in this last document. WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO I HAVE TO CARRY THROUGH MY

  • To accelerate the procedure you can document your license in advance accessing the web page where the system will verify your personal information and, in case of not having an outstanding registration of a vehicle imported in the past, they will facilitate the entry of the necessary information to get your provisional authorization for the importation of vehicles and a code will be granted. With this code,
    the next day and for a term of 15 days there after, you must go to any BANJERCITO´s branch, complying with all the requirements mentioned in paragraph of this manual, where you will be assisted at the express desk. There, they will only type your code and all the information previously entered. Likewise, you may perform the procedure even two months in advance by going to any of the branch of BANJERCITO at the Mexican Consulates located in the cities of Chicago, Illinois; Dallas, Houston y Austin, Texas; Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Sacramento y San Francisco, California, Phoenix, Arizona y Albuquerque, Nuevo México, complying with all the requirements established in paragraph this manual. With the understanding that in these branches only the licenses that are paid
    with international debit or credit card are carried through, issued in the foreign country to the name of the interested party. HOW IS THE RETURN OF THE VEHICLE TO THE FOREIGN COUNTRY

Going with your vehicle to any of the BANJERCITO’s branches, located at the borders to the north or south of the country in order to register the exit operation by requesting, as it may correspond, the reimbursement of the deposit in guarantee that you may have left,
so long as the reimbursement is made within the authorized term on the corresponding entry card. In this branch the corresponding authorities, after inspecting the vehicle, shall grant a proof of reimbursement, which is the only document that proves the exit of the vehicle from national territory. You must carry this document with you on your next visit to Mexico in case clarification is required. RETURN OF PROVISIONAL IMPORTED VEHICLES

In all cases, the party in question must appear with his/her vehicle before the branch of BANJERCITO before going back to the foreign country in order to register the operation of exit of the vehicle provisionally imported, being able, under this circumstance, to make
multiple entrances and exits of the vehicle, protected by the existing guarantee or, where appropriate, request the cancellation of the guarantee and receive a reimbursement of the deposited amount.
Verification of the imported vehicle BANJERCITO will require you to submit the authorization of provisional importation of the vehicle subject to return, and where appropriate, the receipt of the constituted cash deposit, with the purpose of proceeding with the verification of documents; later, the corresponding hologram will be removed from the window of the vehicle and its bar code will be read with a scanning device (VISOR) to check again that the personal information of the submitted documents by the importer are in concordance with those registered in the SAITEV. In the case that irregularities are found in the verification of personal information, the Customs Administrator will be notified in order to proceed with the necessary measures.

Proof of reimbursement.

If there are no irregularities, personnel from the BANJERCITO branch, will carry out the inspection of the vehicle in the SAITEV, issuing two copies of reimbursement, one for you and the other for BANJERCITO.

You will sign the following documentation:
a) Proof of Reimbursement.
b) Where necessary proof of cash deposit reimbursement.
BANJERCITO will deliver to you the proof of reimbursement, and where necessary the cash deposit reimbursement. EXTENSION OF PROVISIONAL IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES

The person that has an extension regarding his/her migratory status, according to that provided by the Law with regard to this subject, will be able to prorogate under the same terms the period to return his/her vehicles. For this purpose, an extension of the period of legal stay of the vehicle before the customs authorities will not be necessary, beingpossible to credit the extension of the period of legal stay of the vehicle in national territory with the official document issued by the migratory authority, prorogating for the
vehicle’s importer his / her stay in the country. With the purpose of not making effective the granted guaranties in the terms mentioned
before, if an extension of migratory status was obtained, he/she will submit personally, at any of the 48 customs in the country, a written document (with free form) where he/she is to give notice of his/her extension, within the following ten working days from the date
on which he was granted such an extension. He/she will attach a copy of this and of the application for provisional importation of the vehicle. LAND CHARTER MIGRATION

In cases in which the vehicle is brought in by a land charter, the charters company will charge the DNI. CUSTOMS

imported individual’s / company’s vehicles into the country, beyond the border strip. They may be provisionally imported for up to a year, with multiple entries and exists. Such a term shall not exceed that authorized by the Secretariat of Communication and Transportation. The importer must go to the branch of BANJERCITO that operates the Program of provisional importation of vehicles, located at customs through which he / she enters into the country, having to submit the original and a copy of the following documentation:

  • Official documentation proving that it deals refers to residents in a foreign country without permanent abode in Mexico.
  • Documentation that may prove the ownership, or, when it may correspond, status to the lease of the vehicles with which the service is being rendered.
  • A copy of the document which proves that you have obtained authorization from the Secretariat of Communication and Transportation to be allowed into the country.
  • To provide a guarantee with an international debit or credit card issued in the\ name of the party in question the foreign country at a branch of BANJERCITO.
  • In addition, vehicles carrying out the service must display the company’s name, initials or logo.


Passengers residing in a foreign country entering Mexico in ships such as boats, yachts or sailing boats must go through the steps of provisional importation of their means of transportation and in their application at the Mexican Customs, they will indicate out the
electrical devices of the kitchen, furniture and instruments the ship contains, as will as the merchandise and necessary supplies for their stay in the country. If you so desire, in the Marina of your preference, you will be helped through these steps, and in some cases they may be able to go through all the steps for you. Regardless of whether your nationality is Mexican or foreign, or if you are resident in national territory or in a foreign country, you may temporarily import your ship for a maximum of ten years. For this purpose you must submit the following documents at the
customs of entry:

  1. “Application for Authorization of Provisional Importation of Ships”. Fill in the data requested on the form that will be handed to you when arriving at the customs of entry into the country or in the marina.
  2. . A single copy of any of the following documents to prove the property of the
    a) Invoice,
    b) Title deed, or
    c) Registration certificate
  3. Once these documents have been checked, the application will be stamped and signed by the customs authority, and it will thereby become the provisional importation license, which allows the legal stay of the ship in the country for a maximum term of ten years.
  4. Make sure to keeping the original of this license on board the ship and submit it when returning the ship upon leaving the country.

Ships that are provisionally imported into national territory by land

The provisional importation of a ship, mobile home or motorcycle may be carried out together with the vehicle that tows them, through the submission before the Customs of entry, the corresponding application of provisional importation of vehicles, for a term of
up to six months. For this purpose, on such application form the description of the goods to be importedtogether with the vehicle aforementioned must be mentioned.In case it is the intention to leave the ship or mobile home for a longer term (up to ten
years), the official forms must be submitted before the corresponding customs, according to the restriction where they are located, as the case may correspond:

“Application for Authorization of Provisional Importation of Mobile Homes” (Spanish and English).

“Application for Authorization of Provisional Importation of Ships” (Spanish and English).

It is important to mention that for the purpose of extending the stay of the tow, ship or mobile home, for a term longer than 6 moths, the return of the vehicle - with which the importation of the ship, tow, mobile home was performed - must be carried out within the
terms established in the Provisional Importation of Vehicles. IMPORTATION OF SPARE PARTS AND/OR EQUIPMENT

When it is necessary to provisionally import spare parts meant for maintenance andrepair of the ship or tow, it will be necessary to submit at the Custom the following documents:

  1. Form “Application for Authorization of Provisional Importation of Goods meant for the Maintenance and Repair of Goods Provisionally Imported”. You may obtain this form at the closest Customs or at the marina.
  2. Copy of the provisional importation license of the ship and trailer.
  3. the person residing in national territory who may have the ship
    bond, where he/she may assume common responsibility for the credit that may arise in case the parts or replaced spare parts are not returned to the foreign country, destroyed or definitely imported. This letter may be requested at the Marina where they may have the ship.
  4. The description of the merchandise or goods destined for maintenance or repair. This merchandise must be identified by serial numbers, part, brand, model, or at least the technical or commercial specifications necessary to identify them and distinguish them from other similar ones, in the case of merchandise susceptible to being identified individually and when such information exists.
  5. In the case of parts that replace others, a document from customs is needed to prove that the parts replaced by the temporarily imported merchandise have been returned, destroyed, or definitively imported.


Upon entering Mexican waters, it is recommended that you carry out all the necessary procedures in the Mexican Port closest to the border. There are three types of dispatch: high seas navigation, coastal navigation, and interior navigation, which are detailed below: HIGH SEAS NAVIGATION

High seas navigation is recognized as that which is done from a foreign port to a national port or vice-versa.

WEIGHING ANCHOR (DEPARTURE): To leave a Mexican port with a foreign destination requires a dispatch, which can be obtained in the Harbor Master’s Office, and requires a bill of health or similar document, emitted by the port’s health authority.

ARRIVAL (ENTRY): Present the departure dispatch from the port of origin and the crew list at the Harbor Master’s Office.
These dispatches must be stamped by the Harbor Master and the Migration, Customs, and Health authorities. COASTAL NAVIGATION:

Coastal navigation is recognized as that which is done from one national port to another national location or port. For this type of navigation, it is optional to give verbal notice to the Harbor Master or to the Marina. For your own safety, make sure you have a complete set of emergency equipment, including flares. INTERIOR NAVIGATION:

Interior navigation is understood as that which is done within the limits of the Port or in interior waters. For this type of navigation, it is optional to give verbal notice to the Harbor Master or to the Marina.
For your own safety, make sure you have a complete set of emergency equipment, including flares.


If you wish, you may commercially exploit the vessel by means of a contract with the tourist marina where the vessel is located, or with a Mexican company. In either of the two cases, it is necessary to obtain the authorization from the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation, and present a notice for each vessel before the
Local Administration of Fiscal Auditing which corresponds to your fiscal home. If, for the operation of these vessels, a foreigner is hired, the requirements established by the National Migration Institute must be met.

Note: Vessels which were temporarily imported cannot be sold in Mexico.

To obtain an extraordinary permit for the temporary importation of firearms for the purposes of hunting or a shooting competition, this should be done through a hunting organizer or a wildlife breeder, who will appear before the region, zone, or military garrison command to request this permit, bringing with him the following documents:
a) A simple copy of the registration of the hunting organizer or wildlife breeder, issued by the Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources, or he must show that he is registered on the list of organizers and/or wildlife breeders who work in the respective field.
b) Once fully identified, he will present, for each of the foreigners he represents, the following original documents:
1. The original hunting certificate for tourist issued by the Mexican Consulate abroad.
2. Registry of hunting identification, which has the hunting permit stamp authorized by the Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources, where for each case the state and species authorized for his hunt is indicated.
3. Copy of the contract with the hunting organizer or wildlife breeder.
4. Receipt of payment of rights for the issue of the arms license, in accordance with those in effect on the date of application, using the form 5 of the S.H.C.P.
(Secretariat of Finance and Public Credit), using the code 400113.
5. A list signed by the hunting organizer with the personal information of the foreign tourists who come for the purpose of hunting, and of the authorized hunting assistants. Once the respective license has been validated with the signature of the corresponding military authority, the hunting organizer or wildlife breeder will sign the document taking joint responsibility for the proper use of the license. The hunting organizer or wildlife breeder must submit the above documentation at least 15 days before the foreign tourists who come for the purpose of hunting arrive in the
country, so that the military authority has enough time to produce the corresponding licenses. The hunting organizer or wildlife breeder, once he has the permits and knows the time, date, and port of entry of the foreign tourists, will provide the military authority with this
information 24 hours in advance, so that he may designate an official to act as military inspector.

The Secretary of National Defense authorizes the tourists who enter the country to perform hunting activities or shooting competitions to bring up to 100 (one hundred) cartridges per firearm. Likewise, he authorizes them to acquire by purchase in national territory, with only the presentation of the original extraordinary permit for temporary
importation and bearing of firearms for the purpose of hunting and/or shooting competitions, a maximum quantity of 500 .22 caliber cartridges and 1,000 shells for a shotgun or other firearm. These are the monthly purchase limits. The issue of permits for temporary importation and bearing of firearms for hunting
purposes will be granted for up to 180 (one hundred eighty) days, with the cost specified by the current Federal Rights Law. Each person would be permitted to temporarily import a maximum of two long arms (rifles or shotguns) clearly made for sport. Foreign hunters are strictly prohibited from hunting with a hunting organizer or wildlife breeder other than the one they have registered with.
Recommendations Your application must contain correct and clear information, and must fulfill the equirements. For more information, you can go to the public service module of the General Directorate of the Federal Registry of Firearms and Explosives Control, located at the following address:

Av. Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra No. 596
Campo Militar Número 1-j
Edificio No. Uno Planta Baja
Col. Irrigación
Delegación Miguel Hidalgo
11500 México, D.F.

Note: It should be understood that the act of submitting the aforementioned documentation does not imply that this Secretary is obligate to grant you the requested license, as this must be analyzed and later submitted for the consideration of superiors.

INFOTUR provides information and direction of the attraction and tourist destinations in México, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, at the following phone numbers:

Mexico City and metropolitan area:
5250-01-51, 5250-01-23, 5250-05-89,
5203-85-57, 5250-07-41, 5250-02-92,
5203-30-78, 5250-04-93, 5203-93-49.

Free long distance call from the Mexican Republic
01 800 903 9200

Free long distance call from the USA
1 (800) 482 98 32

5228 2500


Dirección de Transporte y Control Aeronáutico y/o Subdirección de
Aviación General y Servicios Aéreos
(Direction of Transportation and Aeronautical Control, and/or Sub direction of General
Aviation and Air Services
Phone: 5687-76-20, 5523-29-55,
Fax: 5523-34-19, 5523-34-19
Electronic mail: y

Avenida Nuevo León No. 210, piso 19
Colonia Condesa
C.P. 06100 México, D.F.
Phone 55 84 83 51

Branches of Information,
Av. Ejército Nacional, Esq. Anillo periférico S/N.
Phones: 5626 59 03 and 5626 59 05.
Av. Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra No.596
Col. Irrigación, Delegación Miguel Hidalgo,
C.P. 115000


Home | Activities | Mayan Ruins | Accommodations | Travel Info | Costa Maya | Recipes
FAQs | About us | Site directory | Links | Costa Maya Newsletter | Press Releases

Contact us via email at
Copyright MMB Inc. and MMBKIM 2002


Yucatecan, Mexican and Mayan Cooking courses